- Course format
|Working language : ||
|Volume of contact hours : ||27 h|
|Workload to be expected by the student : ||81 h|
- Course track
Track : Attendance
"Attendance" track :
Attendance at lecture / tutorial classes and intermediate / final exams is mandatory. As evaluation of in-class work constitutes an essential element of grading,
any absence will be penalized and is taken into account for grading purposes (see academic rules and regulations).
"Autonomous" track :
Attendance at intermediate / final exams is mandatory, but students are free to attend lecture / tutorial classes.
For all Master programs and all other programs realized in the form of dual internships (apprentissage), attendence at lecture / tutorial classes and intermediate / final exams is entirely mandatory. Therefore, only the "Attendance" track can be selected.
Contribution of the course to the educational objectives of the programme
How the course contributes to the programme :
- Course description
This course deals with strategic choices potentially available to an organization for responding to positioning issues it faces.
The first part of the course concerns basic concepts and tools presented in the textbook (given to students during the first session), followed by the second part which include more advanced topics such as: international strategy, innovation and merger/acquisition strategies.
- Educational organisation
- As a group
- Case studies/texts
- Oral presentations
- Indiviudual projects (online assignments, video,)
- Specific projects / case studies
- Learning outcomes
Upon completion of this course, the student should be able to: :
- Identify strategic choices available to an organization
- Describe and identify innovation dilemmas
- Analyze key motives for mergers and acquisitions
- Analyze international market potential and attractivness
- Describe how competitors should respond to innovative challenges
- Evaluate the international strategy options for a given company
- Course outline
Students must attend 8 main sessions of 2 hours and must work on an electronic platform (MystrategLab) off class (12 hours).
The outline for each session is given during the first session.
- Pre-requisites for the course
- Key concepts to understand :
This course deals with advanced topics in strategic management, then students should have a good knowledge of basic concepts and tools in the related field (PESTEL analysis, SWOT, Value-Chain, strategic capacity, etc.).
- Knowledge of :
basics in strategic analysis
- Teaching materials
- Documents in all formats
- Moodle platform
- Office Pack (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access)
- MS POWERPOINT
- Additional electronic platforms
- Audio documents
- Recommended Reading
- Intermediate evaluation / continuous assessment 1 :
written + oral / individual / English / weighting : 30%
additional information : Assesment on the basis of participation into case studies and provided workload.
- Intermediate evaluation / continuous assessment 2 :
written + oral / individual / English / weighting : 20%
additional information : Students will pass on at least three quizzes during the session two
- Final assessment : exam week
written + oral / in group / English / weighting : 50%
- Grounds for expulsion from classes
Such behaviors as...
- arriving late, leaving early or unannounced leaving of the classroom during class time
- disruptive eating or drinking in class
- using smartphones and laptops for non class-related purposes
- reading non class-related documents
- chatting on non class-related issues
- showing disrespect towards lecturers
... may lead to expulsion from classes.