|Module / ECTS / Path / Specialisation||Module :Basics in Grape and Wine Knowledge : 5 ECTS.|
|Open for visitors||yes (5 ECTS)|
|Working language :||English|
|Volume of contact hours :||27 h|
|Workload to be expected by the student :||108 h|
Track : Attendance
This course aims to know what is wine, how is wine elaborated, to get an idea of the main producing regions in France. Students should be able to serve a wine, to taste it and to comment it with a couple of words. In addition the main wine related technical topics are presented.
- Define The various types of wines
- Memorize vinification process and main wines
- Identify the main regions together with the wines produced in these regions
- Define "terroir"
- Identify Alsace vineyard
- Define the main wine-related technical topics
- Practice How to taste a wine?
- Choose Food and wine pairing
1. What is a wine ?
a. Definition of the various types of wines
b. Elements on the vinification of the main wines
2. The wine in the French economy
Presentation of the main regions together with the wines produced in these regions
3. How to taste a wine?
a. The importance of the choice of the glass
b. The temperature
c. The eye
d. The nose
e. The palate
4. Food and wine pairing
General indications, some examples of food wine matches
5. What does “terroir” mean? What is a "terroir wine"?
6. The wine in Alsace
a. General presentation of the Alsace vineyard
Geography, geology, climate
b. The Alsace appellations
i. AOP Alsace
ii AOP Alsace Grands Crus
iii. AOP Crémant d’Alsace
7. Key technical steps
a. Maturity of the grapes (phenolic – technological)
b. The pressing cycle
c. The malo-lactic fermentation
d. Ageing over the lies
f. Type of cask
g. Corked wines
h. Cork choice
i. Vine farming
7. Visit of a terroir and winery in Alsace
a. Visit of the vineyard
b. Visit of the cellars
Behaviors such as
may lead to expulsion from the class/course.