|Course set (UE) / Credits (ECTS) / Track / Specialization||Module :Brand management : 5 ECTS.|
|Discipline||Sales and Marketing|
|Open for visitors||yes (5 ECTS)|
|Working language :||English|
|Volume of contact hours :||27 h|
|Workload to be expected by the student :||108 h|
Track : Attendance
The course provides a comprehensive overview of brand management, starting from analysing the meaning and the components of a brand, to theories and models of brand management. Brand identity, image and positioning are discussed, as well as the determinants, dimensions and effects of brand equity. The contribution of behavioral science to brand management is provided, with examples and case studies.
The last part f the course discusses the evolution of brand management, considering trends in brand communication, brand storytelling and branding with purpose and brand activism.
- Outline principles of brand management
- Discuss elements and theories of brand management
- Apply models of brand management
- Analyze evolution and problems in brand management
- Appraise outcomes of brand management decisions
- Design a comprehensive approach to modern brand management
1. Introductory issues
What is a brand? An evolutionary perspective
What does a brand convey to its audience?
Behavioral science applied to brand management
What are a brand key components?
- Evaluation of some brands in terms of components and architecture: can you infer their audience? are they effectively conveying the desired message to their audience?
- Evaluation of some rebranding cases: why rebranding? When and How rebranding? How do you evaluate the cases?
- Examples and exercises of behavioral science applied to brand management
2. Brand Management
Brand identity. How identity connects with values and strategy
Brand image. Its key determinants: associations and attitudes and their drivers
Brand awareness. Recall and recognition
Brand positioning. Types of brand strategies and positioning.
Brand extension. Opportunities and limits
- Exercises of brand recall and recognition in different industries and brand awareness assessment
- Exercises of brand image through brand associations
- Evaluation of the match/mismatch between brand image and brand identity
- Exercises of brand positioning through different criteria
3. Brand equity
The determinants and the dimensions of brand equity (module 2. recap)
The effects of brand equity: purchase intentions, preference, satisfaction, loyalty, advocacy
Brand value rankings: key criteria
A system of KPIs to monitor brand equity and its outcomes
- Case study on brand equity
- Discussion about brand value rankings and the evolution of brand value of top brands
4. Brand communication
Key principles: salience, relevance, resonance,consistency.
Strategies of brand communication
Integrating communication channels
Integrating communication and distribution channels. Brand activation
Branding with purpose and brand activism
- case study of brand integrated communication plan
- examples of brand storytelling
- case studies of branding with purpose and brand activism
Foundations of marketing are useful, though not essential
Behaviors such as
may lead to expulsion from the class/course.