|Module / ECTS / Path / Specialisation||Module :Contrôle de gestion : 5 ECTS.|
|Discipline||Accounting and Internal Controls|
|Open for visitors||yes (5 ECTS)|
|Working language :||English|
|Volume of contact hours :||27 h|
|Workload to be expected by the student :||108 h|
Track : Attendance
The course aims to provide future Chief Financial Officers and management accountants with an understanding of the main concepts and methods of management control. It examines the objectives of management control, the tasks of a management accountant, and the embedding of the management control function in the organization. It further develops the knowledge of cost and management accounting methods. It explores the implementation of decisions through the planning process (e.g., budgeting). It measures actual performance to control that plans are carried out appropriately (e.g., variance analysis). It analyzes information to help managers to take different types of decisions (e.g., cost-volume-profit analysis, transfer pricing).
- Describe the tasks of the management accountant
- Discuss the management's needs for information in relation to planning, decision-making, and control
- Distinguish the objectives of management accounting and control from those of other domains of accounting and finance
- Apply the appropriate cost and management accounting methods in line with the organization's objectives
- Examine the applied cost and management accounting methods critically
- Design management control systems for planning, decision-making, and control in line with an organization's objectives
- Interpret the information derived from the applied cost and management accounting methods
- Support the management's operational and strategic decision-making
1 Introduction to management accounting and control
2 Cost accounting methods
2.1 Product costing systems
2.2 Period costing systems
3 Accounting information for decision-making
2.1 Cost-volume-profit analysis
2.2 Transfer pricing
4 Accounting information for planning and control
4.1 Planning and budgeting systems
4.2. Variance analysis
This course builds on the concepts and methods of cost and management accounting (e.g., absorption and variable costing systems) introduced in the first year of the Programme Grande Ecole in general and the cours Comptabilité du Management (Cost and Management Accounting, Kosten- und Leistungsrechnung) in particular.
Bhimani, A., Horngren, C. T., Datar, S. M., and Rajan, M. (2015). Management and Cost Accounting (6th ed.). Harlow: Pearson.
Drury, C. (2017). Management and Cost Accounting (10th ed.). London: Cengage Learning.
Such behaviors as...
... may lead to expulsion from classes.