|Module / ECTS / Path / Specialisation||Module :Basics in Strategy : 5 ECTS.|
|Open for visitors||yes (5 ECTS)|
|Working language :||English|
|Volume of contact hours :||27 h|
|Workload to be expected by the student :||108 h|
Track : Attendance
This course entitled “Basics in Strategy” provides students with theoretical and practical foundations of strategic management. The objective of this course is to enable students to acquire (1) the core concepts of strategy and (2) the necessary tools to implement strategy in today’s organizations.
The various themes of the course are developed through theoretical and practical tools, illustrated with a variety of concrete examples of companies around the world, and applied through a case study.
Like in a role game, but at a collective level, the students will be invited to embody a company working in an environment where events happen and relevant decisions need to be taken. To make good decisions and to survive in this environment, students will have to apply strategic management concepts and frameworks. Each decision will have some consequences and impact the evolution of the company. At the end of each session, students will deliver completed templates of frameworks to make sure they understood properly the basics of strategy.
In addition, students will be asked to read and prepare PowerPoint presentations of academic articles for several sessions.
- Define the basic concepts in strategy
- Apply a strategic framework on a real-life situation
- Sketch concrete action plans
- Synthesize a company situation
- Justify strategic choices
Session 1 Introducing strategy part 1
Session 2 Foundations of corporate strategy
Session 3 External diagnosis - Analyzing the macro-environment
Session 4 External diagnosis - Analyzing the industry and sector
Session 5 Internal diagnosis – Resources and Competences
Session 6 Internal diagnosis – Corporate Culture
Session 7 Business strategy and models
Session 8 Corporate strategy and diversification
Session 9 Final presentations
- Johnson, Scholes, Whittington and Fréry (2017), Exploring Strategy, Pearson Education
- McKeown (2012), The Strategy Book: How to Think and Act Strategically to Deliver Outstanding Results, FT Press
- Jones, M. and Silberzahn, P. (2013), Constructing Cassandra: Reframing Intelligence Failure at the CIA, 1947-2001, Stanford Security Studies
Behaviors such as
may lead to expulsion from the class/course.