|Course set (UE) / Credits (ECTS) / Track / Specialization||Module :Business Negotiation : 5 ECTS.|
|Open for visitors||yes (5 ECTS)|
|Working language :||English|
|Volume of contact hours :||27 h|
|Workload to be expected by the student :||108 h|
Track : Attendance
|LEARNING GOAL 1 : Students will master state-of-the-art knowledge and tools in management fields in general, as well as in areas specific to the specialized field of management.|
|Students will identify a business organization’s operational and managerial challenges in a complex and evolving environment.|
|Students will understand state-of-the-art management concepts and tools and use them appropriately.|
|LEARNING GOAL 2 : Students will develop advanced-level managerial skills.|
|Students will work collaboratively in a team.|
|Students will participate in a decision-making process in a critical way.|
|Students will communicate ideas effectively, both orally and in writing, in a business context.|
|LEARNING GOAL 3 : Students will demonstrate their understanding of practices reflecting ethical, diversity and sustainable development values in business organizations.|
|Students will identify and analyze issues relating to diversity, ethics and sustainable development in their business context.|
|LEARNING GOAL 4: Students will study and work effectively in a multicultural and international environment.|
|Students will analyze business organizations and problems in a multicultural and international environment|
The Business Negotiation course is a proven, easily applicable and tailor-made method to enable you to perform to the best of your ability as a future negotiator. The course prepares students to become successful negotiators by using an effective negotiating strategy. The course identifies significant steps and appropriate hard and soft skills to be developed, which can lead to improved business performance.
Students go through a relevant negotiation process to reach mutually acceptable deals, and get valuable insights into different cultural negotiating styles. They explore interests, predict conflicts and reach win-win situations. They practice in a constructive learning environment by means of a series of short lectures and through the use of live negotiating exercises. This method has been developed with the contribution of numerous experienced multinational negotiation teams, and is based on the best references.
At the end of this course, students will have acquired relevant knowledge and will be able to perform to the best of their ability as negotiators. This training package of 6 modules has been successfully tested and implemented over a period of 3 years with 6 multinational teams.
- Define the opportunities and threats in negotiations
- Estimate weak and strong points of negotiators and assess conflict-handling styles
- Acquire effective questioning techniques and explore mutual interests
- Optimize on's negotiation strategy through 5 key powers such as strategic thinking, sense of communication, risk-taking, conflict management and time management
- Differentiate various negotitors' profiles
- Combine various negotiation styles
- Influence positively the outcome of deals
The course includes 3 main parts:
1) Understanding negotiation outcomes, styles and skills
- Identifying all keystakeholders and interests in business negotiation.
- Being aware of opportunities and threats in global negotiation.
- Evaluating your weak and strong points as a negotiator and their impact.
2) Mastering an efficient and proven 5-stage negotiation process:
- Preparing a strategy with “red-teaming simulation”.
- Building confidence with cross-cultural interaction.
- Sharing motivation by exploration of interests and risk-taking assessment.
- Bargaining with persuasion and conflict-management.
- Closing deals with effective time-management.
3) Elaborating an effective strategy
- Developing a winning strategy with innovative and inspiring solutions (BDO, ZOPA, BATNA, WAY).
- Providing successful tactics in response to negotiation deadlocks.
- Profiling negotiation teams to achieve successful deals (using a unique reference table).
Basic knowledge of project and team management.
Basic knowledge of conflict management
Jean-philippe BERQUE is an experienced global manager with more than 12 years of working as a chief negotiator abroad, serving and negotiating in the public sector (international organisations) and the private sector (consulting agencies and companies)
Business Negotiation, 2019 (reference manual), J.P. BERQUE
Global Professional Efficiency, 2019 J.P. BERQUE
Jeff WEISS - HARVARD BUSINESS REVIEW - Guide to negotiating (take the lead, manage conflict, get to yes)
Roger FISHER & William URY - Getting to Yes, Negotiating an agreement without giving in
Marvan MERY - Négociation complexe
Jean-Pierre Coene - International negotiation
Behaviors such as
may lead to expulsion from the class/course.